We are delighted to be welcoming visitors and members back.
We know some people may still feel a little nervous about getting out and about as COVID-19 restrictions are eased and we return to a more normal way of life. Please see below for details of the steps we are continuing to take to ensure you can relax and enjoy your visit with us.
We are a conservation and education charity in the beautiful coastal town of North Berwick, supported by our 5-star visitor experience. Dive in and explore the wonder of Scotland's marine environment with us in our interactive Discovery Experience. Soak up the coastal views from our Seabird Café, browse the sustainable gifts in our shop and get up close to the local wildlife on our seasonal boat trips.
Fantastic Covid safe visit to the seabird centre today with my wife and two children (three & Five) nice shop and cafe for refreshments and mr Egghead science show was the highlight. Lovely staff and super clean and organised...
Visitor numbers and flow are monitored at all times. However, if you would prefer to visit when it is quiet the best time is between 10 and 11am or after 3:00pm in the afternoon.
Full details of our usual opening times can be found here.
We've continue to follow the Scottish Government COVID-19 Guidance to ensure that you feel safe and comfortable during your visit. We hope your trip will be as fun as ever. Our procedures and the guidance below was last updated on 12 August 2021.
In line with Scottish Government guidelines we have setup:
- ADVANCE BOOKING All visits to the Discovery Experience should be booked online in advance HERE - please note visit time in Discovery Experience is just over an 1 hour and we ask that arrivals are prompt to help with visitor flow. If we have space in the Discovery Experience we can accept walk-ins on the day but it is best to book to avoid disappointment. All wildlife boat trip experiences should be booked online via our boat booking page here.
- GROUP BOOKING please note our online booking system only accepts 6 people per booking, if you have more people in your group please call us to arrange booking on 01620 890 202 (Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm).
- TEST & PROTECT We are required to capture the contact details of people visiting the cafe for ‘Test and Protect’. Please provide details of the lead member of your party via the QR codes in the Centre on arrival. If you are unable to use this our cafe staff will request the name and contact number of the lead adult in your party and details of how many people are in your group. Thank you for supporting us by providing this information.
- FACE COVERINGS These are still required by law in our Centre, for anyone over the age of 12, unless exempt or when seated in our cafe.
- HAND HYGIENE Provided hand sanitisers for use on arrival/ exit and throughout the Centre.
- VENTILATION We have taken steps to ensure that our Centre remains naturally well ventilated whilst at a comfortable temperature for you. In areas where natural ventilation is less easy we are keeping capacity restrictions in place (for example, in our theatre).
- VISITOR FLOW We monitor visitor flow to ensure that queuing, during peak periods, is minimised and that you have a comfortable visit.
- PHYSICAL DISTANCES We ask that you respect other people's space and try to maintain 1 metre distance between groups.
- HOUSEHOLD GROUPS Restrictions on the maximum numbers of groups or people allowed in our Centre have now been lifted.
- CLEANING REGIMES Implemented new cleaning regimes and all staff will continue to wear face coverings.
- SCREENS Installed protective perspex screens at our café, information and boat office counters.
- USING OUR TOILETS Our toilet facilities are for customers use only and are regularly checked and cleaned during the day. Public toilets are available in the harbour and on Quality Street. They open at 10am.
- GOOD TO GO We have been certified by VisitScotland, as part of the UK Tourism Industry’s ‘Good to Go’ accreditation – this means we have carried out and continue to update our COVID Risk Assessment and have all the necessary health and safety processes and protocols in place.
We ask that you:
- Book a time slot in advance online for our Discovery Experience here. Please be aware that parking in peak season can be busy. Please allow ample time to park if travelling by car.
- Book in advance online for our seasonal boat trips.
- Please note following the latest Scottish Government guidelines contact details for a lead adult in your party are required for Test and Protect (for both our boat trips and use of our cafe). This ensures we can provide information to the Test and Protect Trace team, if needed.
- Please wear a face covering in all areas of the building except when seated in our cafe, if you are exempt or under 12 years of age.
- Please use cashless payment where possible.
- Please use the hand sanitisers provided.
- Please respect physical distance from those not in your own household.
- Please practice good hand and respiratory hygiene practices.
- Follow the Scottish Government Guidelines on travel.
- Do not visit if you feel unwell; we will be delighted to welcome you back when you feel better.
- Enjoy your visit!
LAST UPDATED 7 October 2021
By visiting us, you are starting to help us rebuild our charity so that we can continue our marine conservation and education activities and share the wonders of Scotland’s marine environment with people across the country.
If you share our love of the Scottish marine environment and would like to support our vital marine education and conservation work please consider:
- Becoming a member
- Becoming a friend of our charity
- Choose gift aid when purchasing your Discovery Experience tickets to help support our Charity further.
We promise that we will do all we can to continue to follow the latest and most relevant guidance to keep all of us as protected as possible. As the guidance changes, so shall we.
Thank you for your support and patience.