We are a conservation and education charity in the beautiful coastal town of North Berwick. Supported by our 5-star visitor experience. Dive in and explore the wonder of Scotland's marine environment with us in our interactive Discovery Experience. Soak up the coastal views from our Seabird Café, browse the sustainable gifts in our shopand get up close to the local wildlife on our seasonal boat trips.
We've made some important changes to how we operate to protect and reassure you during your visit. Although things are a little different, we hope your trip will be as fun as ever.
Please note that over winter (November - January) we will be closed Monday to Wedneday and open from Thursday to Sunday 10am - 4pm. Full details of our opening times can be found here.
We are based in East Lothian which is currently in Tier 3 of the Scottish Government COVID19 protection areas. This means travel to visit us is restricted under Scottish Law to people who live within the East Lothian local authority.
From 24 November our region will be moving into Tier 2. This means visitors from other Tier 2 regions and below are permitted to travel to visit us. Please do refer to the latest Scottish Government guidelines on travel before you set off. These can be found here.
In line with Scottish Government guidelines:
We have setup:
- ADVANCE BOOKING All visits to the Discovery Experience must be booked online in advance HERE- please note visit time in Discovery Experience is 1 hour and we ask that arrivals are prompt to help with visitor flow.
- VISITOR FLOW A new visitor flow system in place and visitor numbers into the Centre will be restricted.
- PHYSICAL DISTANCES Installed floor markings and signage as a reminder of physical distances and good hygiene practices.
- ADVANCED BOOKINGS Introduced advance booking systems to help us to ensure your safety, comfort and still give you the best possible experience at the Centre.
- NEW CAFE MENU We have a new café menu which is available here. Following Scottish Government guidelines we can welcome a maximum of 6 adults from only 2 households per table. Children under age 12 are not included in this total.
- BOOK BOAT TRIPS All wildlife boat trip experiences should be booked online via our boat booking page here. Please note the toilets in the Centre are available from 10am and public toilets open from 10am on quality street. If your boat trip leaves earlier than 10am unfortunately there are not public toilets open.
- TEST & PROTECT We will be capturing the contact details of people visiting the Centre should the ‘Test and Protect’ procedures have to be implemented with Public Health Scotland.
- CLEANING REGIMES Implemented new cleaning regimes and all staff will be wearing appropriate PPE.
- SCREENS Installed protective perspex screens at our café, information and boat office counters.
- HAND HYGIENE Provided hand sanitisers for use on arrival/ exit and throughout the Centre.
- USING OUR TOILETS Limited our toilet facilities to only one household at a time to maintain physical distances – a key is available from our Information Desk. Public toilets are available a short walk away on Quality Street and open from 10am.
- GOOD TO GO Been certified by VisitScotland, as part of the UK Tourism Industry’s ‘Good to Go’ accreditation – this means we have carried out a COVID Risk Assessment and have all the necessary health and safety processes and protocols in place.
For everyone's safety some of the exhibits in our Discovery Experience will remain closed, click here for more details. However, our wonderful staff will make up for this with wildlife talks using our fully upgraded interactive cameras on the Bass Rock or providing additional information in response to your questions.
We ask that you:
- Book a time slot in advance online for our Discovery Experience here.
- Book in advance online for our seasonal boat trips.
- Please use cashless payment where possible.
- Please use the hand sanitisers provided.
- Please respect physical distance from those not in your own household and practice good hand and respiratory hygiene practices.
- Follow the Scottish Government Guidelines on travel.
- Do not visit if you feel unwell; we will be delighted to welcome you back when you feel better.
- Please wear a face covering in all areas of the building. This can be removed when seated in the cafe but we asked that you put it back on when moving around the building.
- Please provide contact details for one member of your household – this ensures we can provide information to the Test and Protect Trace team, if needed.
- Enjoy your visit!
By visiting us, you are starting to help us rebuild our charity so that we can continue our marine conservation and education activities and share the wonders of Scotland’s marine environment with people across the country.
If you share our love of the Scottish marine environment and would like to support our vital marine education and conservation work please consider:
- Becoming a member
- Becoming a friend of our charity
- Choose gift aid when purchasing your Discovery Experience tickets to help support our Charity further.
We promise that we will do all we can to follow the latest and most relevant guidance to keep all of us as protected as possible. As the guidance changes, so shall we.
Thank you for your support and patience.